We at BrainyBeautys are not your ordinary product junkies! We are smart, savvy, consumers who seek out the new, test, and look for the best. Let our brains benefit your beauty! Looking to tap into our wits? Hit us up at firstname.lastname@example.org
Luminess Tan is an at-home airbrush tanning system featuring immediate bronzer and tanning actives. Using FDA approved ingredients and "SoftTan" technology, Luminess boasts salon quality results through an easy and smooth self-application. My jaw dropped when I found out that I would get to review this product-please allow me to readjust and review!
First, the bad news: I would definitely recommend some practice at first-if you've never used a self-tan product, do not start with this system. Even if you have used self applied lotions, bronzers, or sprays, I would still recommend that you start very slowly with Luminess. In order to avoid streaks or gaps in your tan, I highly recommend starting with a 1/4 bottle application, waiting for it to develop and then applying another 1/4 bottle to your initial results (the included instructions direct the user to apply a 1/2 bottle at first application). Another downside to this product is the possible leaking and spilling. Be very careful of how you store your tanning solution bottles in between applications-they are leaky and will stain.
The good news: I definitely preferred the results of this product over the tan I have obtained with spray-tan booths in the past. Although the Luniness immediate bronzer is not as dark as other tanning products, it is also less likely to rub off onto clothing or to sweat-out, prior to your first post-spray shower. Also important to note, as Luminess processed, I did not experience that starch-like smell indigenous to booth sprays. I really loved being able to conrol the depth of my tan, which resulted in a glow that was not orange and once I mastered the airbrush stylus, was not streaky.
For $149.00, you too can tan your hot bod without having to trek into the snow, strip in front of a technician, or do that spray-booth dance, hoping to be sprayed in every crevice! The system includes the airbrush system and stylus, a cleaning bottle, two bottles of tanning solution, two intake caps, an instructional DVD and guide, and a cute, little black carrying case!
I find Rihanna's shade of red much more flattering on her because of it's richness and depth For the Pros:
This color can be achieved by having your colorist overlay a semi-permanent bright red over naturally light or medium brown hair. (Blondes would have to deepen their hair before adding this shade.) Keep it shiny with a clear gloss. (Try Clairol Natural Instincts Shine Happy) Skin Tone: This shade works best on both olive and deeper skin tones both of which should avoid any shade
that has too much orange in it.
Hayley Williams (of Paramore)
This is the most cosmetic version of the bright reds we are seeing right now. For the Pros: It's a very difficult color to pull off and requires two steps: pre-lightening and then re-pigmentation with an intense Orange-Red (Try Manic Panic in Infra™ Red) Skin Tone:
This shade works best on bold personalities with very fair skin tones.
Florence Welch (of Florence & The Machine)
Hands down my favorite shade of red because
it actually exists in nature...it's a bright Copper. I'm all for cosmetic colors but this color takes natural and turns it up a notch making it look so ready to rock! For the Pros: Ask your colorist to overlay a demi-permanent bright natural copper over hair that was previously highlighted or was honey blonde. Refresh at home with a color enhancing mousse (Try Goldwell Soft Color Mousse in 8K) Skin Tone: Try this shade if your a blonde and you're over looking washed out. Be prepared to get a lot of attention! It best suits fair, peachy skin tones and it beautifully accentuates pale blue & green eyes.
7 Tips for Rockin' Red Hair:
1. Buy a couple of dark towels. Red will run at first and you should make sure not to use any light colored towels to dry your hair.
2. Make SURE you are use very high quality shampoo & conditioner. Red is the color that fades the fastest so avoid shampooing for 24-48 hours after you color your hair. For maintaining rich, vibrant colors stick with the best:
- Oribe Shampoo & Masque for Beautiful Color,
- Kerastase Chroma Sensitive Extra Gentle Cleansing Balm
- Tocco Magico Palvin-Bid Conditioner
3. Always rinse with cold water. This keeps the cuticle closed and encourages color retention.
4. Use sunscreen on your hair! If it's not already in your styling products and you plan on being in the sun, pack one of these specially formulated hair sunscreens in your beach bag: Kerastase Micro-Voile Protecteur, Phyto Protective Sun Veil or Phyto Protective Beach Spray.
5. Avoid coloring your hair the day of a big event... the stains from red hair dye can be pretty intense.
6. Red is a big commitment so before you take the plunge, make sure you're prepared to stick with it for a while. There are lots of shades to experiment with so don't hesitate to adjust the color until you find the right red for you.
Reds get a lot of attention and making the change will require an adjustment of all of your makeup colors and wardrobe choice
During the month of February, Clarisonic is auctioning 15 wonderful, limited edition Clarisonic Hope Mia® Sonic Skin Cleansing Systems, indelibly autographed by world famous celebrities, including some of Hollywood’s biggest stars! Place your bid to win a Mia signed by Colin Firth, Ryan Gosling, Winona Ryder, Lady Gaga, Zoe Saldana and more.
Clarisonic will donate 100% of the total proceeds from the auction to Look Good…Feel Better®, a national public service program created to help individuals with cancer look good, improve their self-esteem, and thereby manage their treatment and recovery with greater confidence.
Go to www.charitybuzz.com and place the winning bid that will be donated for a greater good. You have the power to take beauty into your own hands with Clarisonic and, at the same time, help empower women with cancer to look their best and regain their self-confidence as they face the challenge of a lifetime.
“Most women with long hair pull it into a ponytail during the summer months and that can lead to awkward color lightening from sun exposure constantly hitting the top layers down the center of the head. The result is similar to a Mohawk effect, lighter down the middle and darker on the sides,” explains Rosenkranz who created the Mohawk Ponytail as a way to control where the sun lightens hair.
Mohawk Ponytail Step-by-Step
· Section hair from the top and back into one ponytail leaving both sides out.
· Take the hair from the left side with the right hand and draw hair up and over the ponytail, hold in place.
· Take the hair from the right side with the left hand and draw up and over the ponytail.
· Hold all 3 ponytails and secure together with a second ponytail holder or covered elastic.
· Spray hair with Matrix colorcarethérapie Shielding Shine Mist, a lightweight no-hold mist that preserves the longevity of colored hair, complete with UV filters to shield color from fading and protection against free radical damage. For added health, use Matrix hydrathérapie Aqua Immersion Hair Crème-Masque before and after sun exposure. The new greener formula (Paraben and Silicone-free in eco-friendly packaging) is formulated with aloe, sunflower oil and other nutrients for intense conditioning that instantly detangles, softens and reveals healthy, shiny hair (both available in salons March 2011).
The Mohawk Ponytail doesn’t just prevent awkward color fadage and enhance highlights like a Cheerio on “Glee,” it actually looks cool too!
Makeup artist, visionary, and founder of NARS Cosmetics, François Nars is one amazing talent, having worked with many sought after starlets. Join François as he celebrates spring beauty and the launch of three limited-edition NARSkits, created exclusively for Sephora.
Runway His Way! Don’t stop with Orgasm, the first 200 beauty addicts to purchase a NARS limited-edition kit, or a minimum of $59 of NARS products, on February 23rd will have the opportunity to meet François Nars and also preview fashion forward looks, seen only at Sephora.
While there, experience wearable spring runway trends and have a NARS makeup stylist re-create one of François’ signature looks on you.
Wednesday, February 23
François Nars Appearance, 2 pm - 4 pm
NARS Artistry Team consultations, 10 am- 8 pm
Sephora Fifth Avenue
597 5th Avenue, between 48th and 49th Streets
New York, NY 10017
What better way to welcome the spring season than with artistry guidance from one of the world’s top makeup artists!
Standing out from the crowd of celebs donning their finest floor-grazing gowns at the 17th Annual SAG Awards on January 30th was Julie Bowen who opted for a non-traditional black jumpsuit by Catherine Malandrino featuring a plunging neckline and low back. You too can dare to bare with confidence by using some of Julie’s favorite products from Mama Mio:
Boob Tube Bust & Neck Firmer ($45)
This crinkle-fighting formula promotes firmer, fitter, glowing, dewy, youthful skin from the neck down, a must when preparing for a plunging neckline like Julie’s. CoQ10 helps defy gravity while Omega 3, 6 and 9 keep your neck and décolleté looking firm and plump. Milk Thistle, Evening Primrose Oil and Sweet Almond Oil maintain moisture for healthy, brilliant skin.
O-Mega Wonder-Full Balm ($26)
Julie didn’t let the weary winter weather wreak havoc on her red-carpet ready skin and neither should you. By using the super hydrating Wonder-Full Balm on lips, cuticles, elbows, hands and feet – you too can ensure smooth skin for even the closest of camera shots. Featuring replenishing oils like Sweet Almond, Evening Primrose, Meadowfoam and Gold of Pleasure that drench skin in omegas, the solid balm melts on contact to provide rich, intense, healing moisture wherever you need it.
Traditionally, flat irons are used for straightening, but Sam Villa, founding partner of the Sam Villa® brand and Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue, is anything but traditional. Villa loves oversized multi-textured looks and uses his flat iron, the Sam Villa Signature Series SLEEKR™ flat iron, in unconventional ways to create this fresh texture.
Remember the pin curl? Well, Villa has a modern version he creates in minutes. It’s a coiled set compressed with the iron, resulting in a flatter curl than a traditional pin curl. Give it a whirl.
1. Take a 1/2” square section and prep with Redken spray starch 15 versatile ironing spray.
2. Loosely flat wrap the section around index finger
3. Slide off finger – holding pin curl in fingertips
4. Pinch with SLEEKR™
5. Finish with Redken fashion work 12 versatile working spray
Lifestyle and skincare guru to the stars and formerly the host of his own Denmark television series on happiness, Ole Henriksen gives his simple tips to get happy in an instant. There’s a reason the Danish press has dubbed him as the “happiest man alive”!
Ole’s Six Instant Mood Boosters:
· Eat right: Every morning, I start my day off with a breakfast of oatmeal, cooked with flax seed and mixed with blueberries, blackberries and raspberries to keep my blood sugar up, which is key to a good mood.
· Exercise: Start your day off moving. Even a 15 minute walk will up your energy. I loves the gymnastic rings. When I exercise on my rings the experience is that of a relaxing meditation – like floating in mid air like I’m on cloud nine.
· Bond and laugh with friends: For women, female bonding sends joyful, calming signals to the brain. One of the greatest joys is a good belly laugh that goes on forever and ever! I can’t get enough of it, it’s part of my daily life.
· Apply OLEHENRIKSEN truth revealed: My truth revealed super crème spf 15 contains my own Omega 3 Happiness Concentrate. This “Happiness Concentrate” increases the release of dopamine (a neurotransmitter involved in the sensation of happiness) and improves microcirculation for a radiant complexion.
· Drink tea: Green tea increases dopamine in the brain, which chemically lifts your mood.
· See the light: The shorter daylight hours of the winter can make us feel down. If you can’t get outside for some sunshine, try sitting with a light box for twenty minutes a few times a week to lift your mood.
If you're looking for luxurious, quick drying, icky-chemical-free nail color, Lippmann Collection is for you! This polish dries evenly and quickly and comes in a wider than wide variety of gorgeous hues. My fave at the moment is Nefertiti-a shimmery, subdued metallic gold, with a hint of sparkle. Dress your digits up with this deliciousness for an instant ego boost!!