Sam Villa, founding partner of the Sam Villa® brand and Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue, travels the world teaching other stylists how to finish hair to perfection. He’s now sharing his tricks of the trade, so a pro blow can be done at home.
“When people tell me they can’t get their hair to look like it does when their stylists finish it, I tell them that it’s easier for the stylist because they’re behind in a natural position, facing the head. Most people blowdry their hair in front of a mirror, which makes everything opposite. I suggest getting hair on the brush and then turning away from the mirror to do the blowdry,” explains Villa.
Tricks of the Trade
· To prevent frizz, reach for an old tee shirt instead of a fluffy towel to thoroughly squeeze out the excess moisture without roughing up the cuticle.
· Detangle hair by working from the bottom up.
· Product is a necessity. Use mousse for volume, lotion for hair that’s smooth and touchable or gel for lift and definition.
· A boar-bristle brush will distribute the natural oils throughout the hair and give a smooth finish.
· Stand up, because your body will have more flexibility than when you’re sitting down.
· If you work with a round brush, section off the hair and start at the bottom. Between sections, put down the blowdryer so you have both hands to get the hair on the brush.
· If your hair is color-treated, set your thermal tools on medium to keep the cuticle closed and maintain the color longer.
Naturally curly hair has special requirements:
· Comb out hair with a large-tooth comb.
· Before using a mousse or gel, apply a leave-in conditioner.
· To maintain the curl, clamp hair with clips at the base to provide lift; then let hair dry naturally or use a diffuser to dry it.
“The last thing I recommend to clients is that if they’re having a “bad hair day,” just start over! Spritz the hair with a water bottle and adjust the top surface. Investing just a few minutes will turn things around to have a great hair day,” states Villa.
Aspire for more with Sam Villa! Villa is founding partner and chairman of Allvus, LLC, Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue and a Stylist Choice Award Winner for Favorite Platform Artist and Educator. Discover his coveted hot tips and techniques, along with Sam Villa Signature Series tools on www.samvilla.com