Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mineral Powder Foundations

Maybelline NY Mineral Power Powder Foundation

Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation

L'Oreal Bare Naturale Gentle Mineral Makeup

The foundation that appears to be advertised the most these days is some sort of mineral powder. I thought I would try a couple different ones to see if there is a difference between brands. Overall, my favorite out of the 3 is the L'Oreal brand.

Mary Kay's version of mineral powder foundation comes in a short, wide, round container. Doesn't fit well in my travel makeup bag, but I can get over that. It also does not come with an applicator. Apparently you have to have your own, or buy one of theirs separately. The good thing about the wide container is that you are able to get your applicator brush in the powder without it going all over. It also covers well. Unfortunately, the color I tried didn't match my skin color well, but I used it a couple of times on the weekend at home to get a feel for it. If you like Mary Kay products and have some of their product already, I am sure that you will have no problems using their mineral powder foundation.

Maybelline New York's Mineral Power Powder Foundation (that is a mouthful) comes with an applicator and is in a smaller container. I personally thought the brush was a little rough and awkward. The applicator brush is just the top of the brush, but it doesn't fit on/in the container. The makeup itself was light and covered well. It didn't look like I had a ton of foundation on, and still managed to even out my skin tone.

*As a side note, I also tried the Mineral Power Natural Perfecting Concealer. It comes in a lip gloss-like tube with a soft applicator brush. Creamy concealer that covers well and LASTS. Love the fact that it is compact enough to carry in my little wristlet purse.

L'Oreal Bare Naturale Gentle Mineral Makeup is the one have been using on a regular basis. It comes in a small container with the applicator brush on the cover to the makeup. I realized after trying 3 different mineral powder foundations that it is inevitably going to get all over. I like the idea of the brush as part of the container, but I think it might be a little too big. I have decided to just use a brush I already had. I found that the L'Oreal brand goes on smooth and light, covers well, and lasts all day. The color also matched my skintone well.

Overall, I like the idea of a mineral powder foundation. It blends well into your skin and doesn't look or feel like you have any foundation on at all. Very light, very subtle, and very necessary as part of your makeup collection.

1 comment:

jenbur said...

I tried the Maybelline NY Mineral Power Natural Perfecting Foundation and thought it was OK. It was almost too light for me. I usually use Mary Kay medium coverage foundation and still prefer it. The Maybelline foundation just didn't seem to cover as much for me.