Who better to raise awareness than dermatologist and melanoma survivor Dr. Elizabeth Tanzi?
Dr. Tanzi, who diagnosed herself with early melanoma and basal cell carcinoma at 37, will ring the closing bell at the New York Stock Exchange on Monday, May 2, 2011 to heighten awareness.
Dr. Tanzi's Top 10 Summer Skin Safety Tips:
- Get an annual full body screening from your dermatologist at least once a year.
- Perform a self-skin exam every 1-2 months-- skin cancer detection is best done as team work between you and your dermatologist.
- Avoid the sun during peak hours from 10 am-2 pm.
- Liberally apply a broad-spectrum SPF that blocks both UVA and UVB rays every 3-4 hours when in direct sunlight.
- ABSOLUTELY NO TANNING BEDS, EVER!!!
- Look for SPF products that contain zinc and/or titanium because they offer good protection without irritation.
- Try double duty powder sunscreens because they apply like pressed powder so your skin looks great and is adequately protected from the sun. The built-in brush makes application easy on the go.
- Although you can't reverse sun damage from past sun abuse, it's important to continue proper sun protection strategies throughout a lifetime because the negative effects from the sun on the skin are cumulative.
- If a mole has changed in size, shape, or color, it needs to be checked right away.
- For all skin cancer questions, the best online resource is the Skin Cancer Foundation.